Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Final Scratch Project - Game Post and Reflection


Reflection

I started my Scratch project with very few ideas, so the best way for me to get inspiration was to look at the sprites and see if I could imagine creating any story around them. I got inspiration for my project once I saw the frog sticking out its tongue and the beetle sprite just a little above it. It was all making blocks and formatting the script from there. 

Working through problems in Scratch is difficult, especially because most of the time when I'm looking at something that's not working in the way I want it to, I'm thinking to myself, "Why in the world wouldn't this work?". Trying different variations of what appears to be the same command helped a lot in debugging. Experimentation as well helped eliminate as many problems as I could. For example, at the beginning I had all my "when score = ___" attached to a "when backdrop switches to___" on the outside of my other script, but for some reason it had to be on the inside of the "forever" block in order to work. At the time, looking at it appeared there would be no problem, but then again I'm still no Scratch expert. For some of the problems I couldn't fix, like making all the bugs disappear at the end of the game, I used that as a conversation piece between the princess and the prince to end the game. That was one "bug" (no pun intended) that I couldn't get out of the game and still it doesn't make sense to me as to why some bugs disappeared and some didn't, even though they had the same script and commands. 

The best way to test the game was to go through it every time something new was added. It would be extremely difficult to add all the script and then go through the entire game over and over again, especially if you don't know that the script actually works, so every time a new feature was added, I'd go through the game and work through it until it was fixed, and then move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment