Thursday, February 27, 2014

Infinite Internet

The internet is an everlasting place, and if one needed information on a specific topic, it's nearly impossible to find the best information through Google without knowing the tricks involved while searching. The best way to filter out those extraneous results is to do a little "power searching", or adding specific tools to your query and allow Google to filter down your results more and more.
One of the most useful things I got out of the Power Searching with Google class is being able to filter your picture results by color. I know it may seem easy, or that information was attainable on my own, but because this tool, found easily on the left side of your image SERP (search engine results page), was never pointed out to me, I never bothered to be curious about it. Like lots of things on the internet, sometimes you just have to keep scrolling to get the information you want, and this was one of those rare times where what I was scrolling past actually would help me find whatever I was looking for.
Another simple tool, though will help anyone benefit while searching more than just Google tremendously if known, is the power to search a web page for certain words or a phrase by clicking CTRL + F. By doing this, a search bar appears on any webpage on the computer monitor. Like filtering by image, it is a simple tool, but sometimes simpler is better in a place as infinite as the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment