Wednesday, March 12, 2014

All the Bells and Whistles

The modern day battle between upscale MacBook computers and the common PC would be a lost cause if everyone understood what makes them so different. Recently, I completed a presentation that features all the pros and cons of owning either a MacBook, or an HP Chromebook. What I have learned, which has really helped me understand Macs and PCs alike, is that the reasons why Macs are generally more expensive than PCs is because Apple products are often more high-end. The parts they use in their computers are more specifically designed for the Apple computer, which is a small field of only about eight different types of models. The PC world seems endless. You have Dell, Toshiba, HP, Acer, Intel, Samsung... and that is one of the main reasons why PCs are so cheap. If you wanted a high-end PC, with all the bells and whistles that a normal Mac has, you would be paying about that same 1000-2000 dollar price for a computer. Personally, I am a fan of the PC. It's portable, cheap, compatible with lots of files, familiar, and that is why my view on Macs didn't change while doing this project, I'm just more aware of my opinion now. Rarely does anyone need the software or the operating system that Mac computers carry, unless you are a professional in your field, so I don't believe it's necessary for any Joe Schmo to get a Mac with its heavy price, and then not be able to take advantage of all the features that make all your dollars disappear. I think the MacBook's advertising is appealing, the photos look like they have better quality, the software looks faster, but I think it's an appeal that is only worth it to a small number of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment