Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Coding Games

One of the great things about taking a computer class is you become aware of what kind of opportunities are out on internet for people interested in certain aspects of computer programming. Today, I learned about the world of coding and how numerous games are available, mostly directed for young people, to provide a simulation of what real life game coding is like.
The first game I played was Angry Birds, which was easy at first, but as I got to more and more challenging levels I began to realize how vital each and every little piece of coding is to a game.
The second was Tynker, a website geared towards children, really, but still provides an interesting environment on what coding would be like. I played Puppy Adventure, which was similar to Angry Birds but easy because you didn't have to worry about making turns.
The last game played was Lightbot, a much simpler version of the Angry Birds simulation. I've found that all these games were easy as long as you were meticulous in your work, and didn't rush to get to the next level. Often times, the hardest thing for me was interpreting the directions given to me, which I imagine is exactly why we need smart computer programmers to begin with.
Overall, I think these simulations are more stimulating that actual coding would ever be, because while creating your own game, you're not playing a pre-setup Angry Birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment